Summary of Credentials
I am a Registered Clinical Counsellor (registration number 3277) with active membership in the British Columbia Association of Clinical Counsellors.
Master of Arts in Counselling Psychology from the University of British Columbia (2007).
Bachelor or Arts (Honours) in Psychology from the University of British Columbia (2002).
I am an experienced individual therapist and couples counsellor.
For 12 years I have worked in helping positions such as trauma counsellor, group counsellor, victim service worker/community counsellor, transition house support worker, ESL instructor and teacher supervisor.
I have extensive training and experiencing in helping victims of domestic violence, elder abuse, child abuse, and sexual assault and frequently teach or consult on these topics.
I also completed an externship in Emotionally Focussed Couples Therapy and enjoy working with couples in therapy and workshops. I launched my private practice in 2012 and it is now my sole work focus.
I completed a dissertation on cultural differences in drinking motives.
I conducted intensive research on sexual difficulties in couples. I applied for and received a $17, 500 scholarship from the Social Science and Humanities Research Council of Canada to conduct this research. I presented my research at the International Counselling Conference in Chicago in 2008 as well as at the Canadian Psychological Association Conference in 2008 in Halifax, where I won the Best Master’s Poster Presentation Award.
I like to participate in training when experts are available to teach. Highlights include:
- Synergetic Play Therapy, May 2016
- Play Therapy: The process for a 2.5 year old boy and father who witnessed the murder of their mother/wife, with Maryann Pare, September 2015
- The DSM-5: Key changes and implications for practice, with Dr. Vaneeta Sandhu, July 2015
- Imago Relationship Counselling, with Maureen McEvoy, March 2015
- Counselling loved ones of addicted individuals, with Candace Plattor, March 2015
- Making Sense of Preschoolers course, Neufeld Institute, January 2014
- Bodynamic Training with Merete Holm Brantbjerg: Trauma and attachment, March 31-April 1, 2012.
- Bodynamic Training with Merete Holm Brantbjerg: Coping with stress March 18-19, 2011
- De-escalating Violence and Non-violent Communication, Family Services of Greater Vancouver, May 2010
- Gangs, Ending Violence Association BC Annual Conference, 2009
- Community Coordination, Ending Violence Association BC Annual Conference, 2008
- Introduction to Art Therapy for Counsellors, Justice Institute of BC, Oct 23-24, 2008
- Working with victims with illegal status, International Counselling Psychology Conference, Chicago, February 2008
- Threat Assessment and Risk Management with Violent Offenders, Vancouver Police Department, January 2008
- Trauma, Don Meichenbaum, May 2007
- Eating Disorders, April 2007
- Sand Therapy, Maud Killam, Family Services of Greater Vancouver, 2006
- Emotion-Focused Couples Therapy Externship with Veronica Kallos-Lilly and Yolanda von Hockauf, August 2006